Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2003 domain communicating with 2000 domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcolmer25

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
IE
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of upgrading our Belfast site which currently has a 2000 DC Server with exchange 2000. I am upgrading the domain to 2003 SBS standard. We also have a Dublin site which has a 2000 domain (not SBS) and this is where all mail is received and any mail for Belfast is forwarded over our site to site VPN.

Belfast = 192.168.2.X
Belfast Domain = fgsbelfast.local

Dublin = 192.168.1.X
Dublin Domain = fgs.local

A collegue of mine has informed me that sbs is unable to communicate with any other domains but I am sure that I have read somewhere that it is possible maybe by setting up a trust between the two domains, but I am not sure. I would appreciate it if any one could help me out with this problem I am having or if anyone had any other suggersions to work around this.

Thanks in advance.

Max

SBS has been hard coded to NOT allow for trusts.

Only suggestion to you is to not use SBS in your case or consider NOT forwardig the mail but instead have the users use OWA or Outlook over HTTP.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting back to me about this problem i am facing.
Is there absolutely no way i can get the 2 domains fgs.ie and fgsbelfast.ie talking and replicating with each other? that is the way they are setup at the moment and all mail that gets sent to fgs.ie then gets routed i think by x400 connector to fgsbelfast.ie.
Also do i need to set up a trust in order for this to work? I am in situation where i have to install SBS 2003 and not 2003 server as i am out of time and i am due to start install on Monday.

thanks i advance

Max

I will reinterate: SBS has been hard coded to NOT allow for trusts.

SBS has been designed and priced for small businesses and is NOT intended for situations like yours. Microsoft has given steep discounts in the licensing of this product witht he tradeoff that you can't "get around it" by hooking up an inexpensive server license to a larger domain via trusts or as a secondary DC.

My suggestion, cancel your trip or be prepared to buy a regular server license.

Why did the company get SBS in the first place? It sounds like they were hoping to leverage the Exchange piece of SBS.

The only somewhat helpful suggestion I could make would be to set this server up as its own domain as a seperate company. Give the peopel there email addresses that are different than what they have now. For example: user@company.com => user@company2.com.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back