Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2000 to Win 2003 info

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoSavage

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2001
AU
Hiyas,

I have been lloking everywhere for information about upgrading SBS 2000 to a Windows 2003 domain. As there are some definite limitations with SBS ie. no trusts, I would have imagined that the AD migration tool might have had problems.
There is plenty of info on SBS 2000 to SBS 2003 and on Win 2000 to Windows 2003, but nothing on SBS 2000 to Win 2003. If anyone knows of some good info, or has any experience with the upgrade I would be glad to here from you.

thanks

josh

Join the 2003 server to your domain then promote it to a DC. Transfer all roles to 2003 DC, FSMO. Verify that all is working correctly by taking the SBS server offline and see that the network has no problems. If no problems put the SBS back online then demote it. Take offline and do whatever you have planned. Then raise the 2003 DC to 2003 domain functional level. Poof, 2003 domain. You can then rename domain, rename domain controllers, etc.

HTH,

Z

I dont think there is enough screwing around for hours with obscure microsoft tools for my liking. if it all went that smoothly I would be out of a job

The process I outlined above will not take hours but days. I have been a part of several migrations and rollouts to 2003. If you have not done it before it may look easy, but alot of it will depend on how well your current enviroment is configured. As far as the obscure Microsoft tools, They are all very well documented and fairly intuitive to use, If you don't think so try doing the same thing in a *nix environment and you will quickly change your mind.

In short RTFM, and you can not go wrong. Otherwise have your backup tapes handy cause your going to need them.

Z

To Zmann: I was going to set up a lab unit to test the scenerio you have described about tranferring the FSMO roles from an SBS2000 server. Just by chance I saw your thread here. Have you actually seen this work? I was wondering if the SBS server would actually give up the roles. I would willing to seize the roles and cleanup the meta data, if this will work. This would be far superior to any other method. Thanks for any feedback.

Jim - Synnex Info Tech

Does any one know if you can actually upgrade a sbs 2000 server that is used for nothing else but sql server to 2003 server standard?

I have a 2003 server as the pdc and the sbs server needs to be upgraded. I do not want to try and get all of the users logons etc. over with a migration. Are there any issues with doing a simple upgrade or is this a bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back