Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBC - pass caller ID to 3rd party?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglebowski

Technical User
Jan 29, 2004
GB
We are looking at products for 999/911 that allows members of the public to send video streams back to the control room.

One of them can automatically send a text message to the caller with a link to launch the stream but obviously we need to send them the CPN or CLI to send the SMS.

Is there any way for an Avaya SBCe (8.1 but may be 10.2 soon) to send the CPN to a 3rd party when it sees an incoming call invite?

What's the call flow?

If CPN is in a SIP header, you can definitely sigma script it into the FROM which is probably what the far end uses for CPN on their side.

I don't want to send it to a party in the call flow, I want to send it to a 3rd party application.

There's a RADIUS streaming CDR logging facility. Might only get it once the call is wrapped up.

SM has emergency dial patterns, but my understanding is that it's meant to ping-pong the call first to an ELIN SIP entity to populate more info about the caller.

Otherwise, to tick a box for an RFP once, I cobbled together a custom syslog script of a kernel log file in the SBC to push everything in the kernel log out via syslog (the GUI doesn't let you configure that) and it includes 911 calls.

A call logger - like HOMER SIP capture or something from Nectar would catch it presuming some of the signaling is TCP.

You can setup a syslog of all SIP messages from SM and parse that way.

What's the intended purpose?

Are you trying to make it a phantom call?

Freelance Certified Avaya Aura Engineer

Not trying to make any calls.

Just want to pass the CPN to a 3rd party as a text string for them to use.

When you make a call to 999 (911) call comes in on a SIP trunk to SBC through SM to an ICCS system where the 999 operator answers the call.

They use a 3rd party app that allows the caller to send a video stream to their dekstop to see whats happening at the scene. They have to manually enter the callers number in and I was hoping that the SBCe could extract the CPN and send it via an API directly to the 3rd party app.

Have done similar on the old ACME SBCs in the past.

See my note above. If the "API" is RADIUS CDR, then yes, technically...

The SBC isn't going to consume and trigger an arbitrary API.

This sounds pretty custom...

"We are looking at products for 999/911 that allows members of the public to send video streams back to the control room. One of them can automatically send a text message to the caller with a link to launch the stream but obviously we need to send them the CPN or CLI to send the SMS."

"They use a 3rd party app that allows the caller to send a video stream to their dekstop to see whats happening at the scene. They have to manually enter the callers number in and I was hoping that the SBCe could extract the CPN and send it via an API directly to the 3rd party app."

What's the industry?
What's the exact use case from an end-user perspective?

I have some kind of phone that calls an emergency number and it goes thru an Avaya SBC.
I also want someone to see a video stream.

Does that mean the emergency caller is implicitly calling from a mobile/something with a camera and you want the camera feed to go to the "control room" as soon as the call is dialed?
Is the control room the recipient of the voice portion of the call?

Assuming it's from the caller side that a video stream is being sent, what exactly on the mobile device is sending it? Is it some particular app, or do you need to send a link to a webpage and the webpage triggers the caller to allow the webapp to see the camera?

Is it even a good idea to add that much stuff into an emergency call flow?

Couldn't the caller just call 911 from Workplace and 911 routes to the control room, also with Workplace and it just be a plain old point to point Avaya UC video call?

If none of the above is true, and you're on CM, use crisis alert. 3rd party apps can consume the AES API to know when a call happens and do what they like.

From everything you're saying, it sounds like there's enough custom stuff in there for the answer to be letting the custom app dev spec out and build whatever they need atop whatever SBC you're using.

Or, just buy an ACME and route your 911 calls thru that :p

Perhaps someone who understands 999 call delivery in the UK could answer.

Sorry!

I didn't know it was specifically for a real PSAP application for the UK.

I googled up a bit how they add video. I don't have a perfect answer, but I've been working on something similar enough that would satisfy your use case.

Session Manager (but not the SBC) has the ability to syslog all SIP messages. There are systems that can consume that natively - like HOMER SIP Capture - to build SIP signaling ladders.

I was working with a vendor of a SIP call logging product to setup Avaya SIP with them.

The SBC has some logging settings where it will FTP a zip file of a ton of stuff every so often, including all SIP messages. That's nice, but not good enough for real time processing and it includes way more than just SIP messages.

So, somewhere in /log/tracesbc/sip_messages/....... is a running log file of each SIP message as processed by the SBC. The desire was to have those messages sent out in real-time to a 3rd party as that file was being written.

I cobbled together a custom syslog script to "send any line written to X file to 1.2.3.4:514"

The vendor and I have been asking product management to enable that as native functionality in the SBC GUI such that an admin could easily configure sending all SIP messages via syslog to some 3rd party.

If you got a syslog feed of all SIP messages and could look at invites for new calls and saw "TO:999" and "FROM:123456", your application could do some mobile lookup to see if 123456 is a mobile number, and if so, SMS a link, or whatever.

Would that satisfy your use case?

In North America, Avaya's SBC is certified for what we call Next Gen 911 such that an enterprise or PSAP answering center can use the Avaya SBC for the advanced functionality of what North America has defined as the new emergency calling spec. I'm sure they're interested in doing so in other geographies.

here's an example of a document of how we do things on our side of the pond. Is there something equivalent for the UK?

If you want, I know some people at Avaya involved in this at least on the North America side. But it'd have to be better than "Hey, I know thebigLebowski from the internet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back