Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBC Architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2013
US
Hello all,

Been a while since I have been here sadly.

I am looking into a SBC design question and having a difficult time finding the answers.

I currently have a sbce (SBC+EMS) install with one active SIP trunk from one Carrier on it.
I am looking to add a second SIP trunk from another/different SIP carrier for added SIP trunks as well as load balancing and fail-over between the carriers SIP trunks.

Current interfaces in use are M1, A1 and B1.

If I add another carriers SIP trunk, should I use a new interface on the SBC to connect this new carrier / subnet to, such as the B2 interface or should I add the new SIP trunk subnet to the existing B1 interface? The documents state I can have multiple Subnets per interface but I am still confused on how this should work or what the best practice is for this scenario?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Depending on your software level you can choose to use the secondary external interface.

The rest can be configured from server flows.

ACSS (UC/SBCE/SM/SME)

Not that they mean a thing anymore , get a brain dump pass the test crash the system.

I would add a new interface (B2) and put your new carrier physically on that. The physical separation is just because they are separate carriers coming in and it provides a peace of mind to me to know they are are on different cables. If you need to move one carrier to another ASBCE you can do it without knocking down both of them at once.

SBC/EMS single box install, version 7.1.0

I think using a separate interface "B2" may be the way to go for this scenario. That way I can specify the topology hiding based on the requirements for the new SIP trunk on the B2 interface, I think if I use the same interface "B1" I would not be able to change the topology hiding and this could create issues since they are different Providers with different topology hiding needs.

I'm interested in hearing some more about your goals at the carrier level for this. Is this alternate SIP trunk/carrier for outbound calls only? If for both inbound and outbound can you give me some info on how the SIP provider holding your DID's can utilize 2 separate transport carriers?

I can wpetilli,

The current installed SIP trunk provides inbound DID and local toll calling.
The new SIP will provide outbound toll free services and toll calling.

@wpetilli - I see where your going with this. I was thinking the same thing. I think a 3rd party RespOrg like ATLC would have your number pointed to one carrier and in the event of an outage point to the other carrier, or maybe they can percent allocate your calls 50/50 across carriers? That would be neat, if so :)

@AvayaRedTech - Im trying to set up a Red Avaya lab. Can the G250 Media Gateway provide media resources (mainly for having the sip trunk up) for the CM installed on a S8300-board? SM & SMGR are on VMware.

Comments and guidelines are welcomed.

yes, I have a g250 in my lab that I usually use for DSP resources rather then the g450's. It should be sufficient for most stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back