Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SB Live! problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mateo77

MIS
Jun 10, 2000
AU
Hi all,<br><br>I've got an annoying problem in that my Sound Blaster Live card doesn't work when Win98SE first loads, and I have to remove the device and do an Add New Hardware to get it to work. <br><br>I have the latest drivers and reinstalled many a times, and there are no IRQ/IO/memory conflicts. <br><br>Although, if I remove the devices and reboot it detects and works perfectly, but then my video card stops working (a 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 w/latest drivers)!!<br><br>The error in Device Manager says the mmdevldr.vxd is bad, and I've copied that file from the Win98 CD, but still to no avail.<br><br>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!<br><br>Mateo.

i would try relocating the SBlive! to a different slot, also check your bios about PnP or IRQ settings, and I would recomend downloading fresh new drivers for most of your devices. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Check to see if your Bios will allow you to specify different resources per PCI slot. Both of these devices are sharing the same resource pool and may not like it.<br><br>

Thanks guys. I ended up removing the PnP BIOS from Device Manager and redetected everything - lo and behold sound card and video card both decide to work fine now. <br>Good old Windows at it's usual best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back