Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving Word and Excel XP files problem on W2K SP3, FR2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dteague

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2003
US
I have been running Metaframe XP on windows 2000 FR2 and having problems with files being read only or users cannot save. I have a W2K network and am using Active Directory folder redirection to map clients data folders. The problem is sporatic. I can open a word doc and it will be read only, close it and it will be fine, close and reopen and it is read only again. If I go to save it will say Word cannot complete the operation because too many files are open. Sometimes excel wont even open, it will just say there is not enough available memory or disk space. I only have about 20 users at one time and have perfmon running and nothing is even being close to tapped out. I have formatted and started over and still no luck. PLEASE HELP!

Hi this sounds like a permissions issue.
Recommend checking your permissions on your server and file and print server make sure the user has write access.

I've got exactly the same problem on w2k sp3, xps fr1. I'm fairly sure the problem isn't permissions. Did you get anywhere with this dteague?

I'm having this same problem right now. We're still working on it but found some valid options.

Make sure that the file that you are accessing is not on a Win2k/XP "workstation" because the connectivity is limited to 10 connections only.

Make sure that the IIS web server isn't limiting the connections to the virtual server/HTTP web server.

Make sure that the "Share" permissions on the directory allow more than the connections you need to have access to it. Shares can be limited, IIS/Virtual/Web connections, and the OS.

Also, make sure that the Word or Access is not accessing data that is on another server that may have limitations on it.

Note that Office has a problem with this error happening when you have an office item open and save it either through the background or via CTRL + S and it looks like you have many connections open to it.

Currently, we believe that it's our Citrix connections in conjunction with antivirus software making background scans to the open data combined with Office making background saves to the network path confuses the OS into this "too many files open" to one single file.

I'm going to attempt to open a CItrix call and find out what's up with that.

Oooops, forgot to mention, Novell Client without SPk 1 or support pack 1 will have this same exact problem. You need to install Support Pack 1 to fix this error with Novell Clients.

Don't assume you don't have Novell Clients either. I'm contracted out for the next few weeks troubleshooting a bunch of problems. Meanwhile I had my Sniffer running and found that in an absolutely all Micro$oft network, there are about 5 devices with IPX/SPX running, not sure if they're workstations yet.

Hope this helps.

We fixed this and it seemed to be a combination of two things.

Firstly I had rebuilt the file server OS leaving the data disk intact and had not given the 'system' account full access to the entire disk.

Secondly, we were using AD folder redirection to point part of the profile on the file server in order to shorten log on times, but all it did was put the servers disks and nic under loads of stress.

Good luck everyone.

Aha! That makes sense. I was getting the idea that by removing the system account from everyone's profile may fix the problem as many services use the system account for accessing data in the background i.e. your virii scanners and whatnots.

I still think it's multiple process accessing a single instance of data at the same time. I have searched the world over and still have found this message board the closest to solving this problem. We may never know the true cause of this problem but can simply avoid it by the methods you described above. I'm sure this will work and will recommend them come Monday morning.

Regards,

EK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back