Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving WEBCam IMAGES using vb6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elquixiote

Technical User
Nov 30, 2002
MX
Hi! Someone give me a cheap webCAM. It is from Genius. It came with no manuals no help. Is there a way to capture images/photos using a vb6 application. The camera attaches to an usb port.

Any hint ?...

El quijote

Yes, there is a way. Or, at least, there should be if Windows has detected it.

Check out the capCreateCaptureWindow API call in avicap32. You'll probably also need to look, at a bare minimum, at the following Windows messages:

WM_CAP_DRIVER_CONNECT
WM_CAP_DRIVER_DISCONNECT
WM_CAP_EDIT_COPY
WM_CAP_SET_PREVIEW
WM_CAP_SET_PREVIEWRATE
WM_CAP_SET_SCALE

I also wish to do a similar thing with a USB mounted digital camera that sends a constant video-like stream through the USB port. I have found some info from the MS website concerning the API calls, but I simply have no experience in calling these dlls and making them work. Could you please give a little more detail regarding the integration of these calls?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

P.S. I'm using VB6 with a Canon G2 digital camera. All I want to do is display the image stream on the screen, not control the camera (yet :).

theres an app out there called vbVidCap i think i downloaded it off developerfusion but there search is down.

if google doesnt turn anything up on this and u want me to email the source just ask.

Code:
'****************************************************************
'*  vbVidCap for Windows - Full source code for Visual Basic 5/6
'*  
'*  A full featured video capture application written entirely in
'*  Visual Basic. 
'*
'*  This program should be compatible with any Video For Windows 
'*  capture device.  Comments, suggestions, and bug reports can be
'*  sent to raymer@shrinkwrapvb.com
'*  
'*  More information and a fully compiled version of this program 
'*  is available at:
'*  [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.shrinkwrapvb.com[/URL]
'*
'*  Copyright (C) 1998-2000, Ray Mercer.  All rights reserved.
'****************************************************************

hope this helps

If somethings hard to do, its not worth doing - Homer Simpson

VBVidCap works great!

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."--Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back