Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving User Profile to removable media

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrledebuhr

Technical User
May 29, 2002
US
I'm in charge of taking a new PC (each one usually has differnt hardware), installing our departmental software, configuring the machine (display, folder settings, temp variables, etc.) and then setting up the machine for the user. It gets real old going through the same motions each time with respect to environment settings (folder, system, display, desktop) so is there a way to copy a user profile to a floppy or ZIP drive and then replace the Default User Profile when I first log in to the machine as an Administrator on a new machine? That way, each user I create will have the same profile that I desire. I already tried the User Profiles tab in System Properties and using the Copy To button, but when I type in a: it gives me a Profile Error:
"Failed to set Security on the Destination Profile: Error - Access is denied."

Thanks for the Help!

Bill

If you have Win2K server, there's something called Roaming Profile. People can use the same profile no matter which machine they log on within your network... [noevil]

u can backup ur whole registry but for a profile mmmm i donno :(

Yeah, we have Win2k Server running, but we currently want users to log in locally so roaming profiles wouldn't quite work. Any other ideas? Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back