Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving rollover in imageready as .gif?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliceitup

Technical User
Jun 30, 2008
US

There are at least 2 other threads here that ask this question or similar, but there was no solution posted.
I also spent over an hour in photoshop/imageready help trying to answer this question.

I am trying to save a navigation bar with 5 rollover buttons and have it available to work inside an existing web page doc in Dreamweaver.

I created it in photoshop, brought it into imageready and added slices and rollover info etc.

When saved via "save optimized as", it can only be saved as .jpg or .html. If saved as .jpg, obviously it is a single image and does not have the rollover info. If i save it as .html, it becomes it's own web page in Dreamweaver.

I want to insert the graphic with functioning rollover into a page that already exists. I tried different output settings, but no luck there either.

What am i missing here?

thanks for any help!

I posted a similar question when I had been working at a clients. Turns out their version was non registered so I did it on my own legal copy at home. Might not be a sloution to your problem but something worth checking.

Keith

The only way i know to check that, would be if someone were to post the correct steps to accomplish that, here.

Thanks!

sorry, The only way i know to check that, would be if someone were to post the correct steps to accomplish saving the navigation bar first.
thanks

Hello again,

=>Select all frames

I do not see this exact option in imageready. I do see 'select all layers', and i did choose this option which did hightlight all the layers.

=>Optimise animation

I do not see this exact option either, but there are numerous settings under File/Output Settings/Slices
-or-
File/Output Settings:
/HTML
/Saving HTML
/Slices
/Image Maps
/Background
/Saving Files
/Metadata

I have tried numerous combinations of these. Each selection has its own settings. None produced a .gif file.

=>Save optimised as

It seems anytime this option is selected, it always offers only two options. Saved file as HTML and Images or just HTML. Neither of which produces a .gif file.

I did try:

File/Export/Animation Frames as Files

which DID produce a .gif file, but the rollovers did not work. (in preview or published) I tried this method both with interlaced and not interlaced.

There are so many options to choose from, it's hard to figure out which to select. I have saved about 6 diff files, with no luck yet.

Any help is appreciated! I'm sure once I get this method down, I will be pretty much good to go for the purposes in which I need this to work!

Maybe one day they will simplify these programs so non-scientists can use them!

Menu bar => window => optimize - is file type gif selected?

Animation bar, right hand side under the cross to close the bar is a small horizontal arrow. 'Select All Frames' is cleverly hidden under there.

Keith

The first thing I noticed was that under menu/Window the animation option was not checked. When I checked it, the animation box appeared on the right side. When I click on the horizontal arrow, I see the option to 'Select all Frames', but it is not a highlighted option.

So, i went back and deselected all layers, thinking that was the reason i couldn't see the option, but that was not it.

Now, when looking at the animation box, there is only one frame. Let me point out that my project is a horizontal navigation bar with 5 buttons across it which has numerous layers. Each button has text and each button has an alternate button for a rollover effect. At no time when i built this did I ever use any animation tools. I built it in photoshop, pulled it into imageready, sliced it up, and added rollover options.

I don't think of this graphic as an animation, should it be, or is that just the method to save it?

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!

Here's how to get buttons made in Photoshop into Dreamweaver (CS).

1.) Create button images and rollover images in Photoshop.
2.) Bring file into Imageready.
3.) Slice up the buttons as needed.
4.) Save "Optimized As" and save it as HTML and save file into the Dreamweaver directory for your site.
5.) In Dreamweaver, go to "insert" and then "interactive images" and select "rollover image".
6.) 'browse' to original image and then rollover image that was saved by imageready and placed in Dreamweaver files.
7.) type in alternate text and a URL and hit OK. Rollover button is inserted.
8.) THAT'S It!

You now have a rollover button in your .htm dreamweaver document.

MAJOR THANKS TO AUDIOPRO for his assistance with this issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back