Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving passwords 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

perrymans

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2001
US
I know that passwords are kept in a SAM file, but how can I make a backup if this file? I get errors about it being in use and I can't copy it.

Thanks. Sean.

That is very informative. Thanks for that link. I just wish they author of that article could spell a little better. Hucked on fonics reely wurks fer mee! k, sorry. I had to.

[rofl2]
Too right.

Tired of waiting for an answer? Try asking better questions. See: faq222-2244

321305 - How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password Expires

305478 - HOW TO: Create and Use a Password Reset Disk for a Computer That Is Not a Domain

306214 - How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer in a domain in Windows XP

In the general issues raised by this thread:

. Use ERUNT, excellent freeware:
I do, as does linney and several other regular forum members.

. I think you may have overstated what is stored in the SAM. If we are talking about the Protected Storage Service entries, they do not hit the SAM. Linney's links above address specificly the backup and restoration for possible SAM issues.

. The SAM is not very interesting. And relatively static.
You should be able to do a backup of the critical SAM and WPA.dbl and other files from the System32 folder without issue. The native Windows backup utility, particulary ASR can do this. If not, it is easily done with Recovery Console.

See:

This article seems to be for NT passwords. Is this the same location where my auto-fill entries are kept for internet explorer?

I know my logon, but when I switch to the new PC, I don't want to reeneter all of my passwords on websites.

This used to be with the old .pwd file in 98. Is this SAM still the right one? Will it mess up my new login info if I copy it over?

Thanks. Sean.

If you are talking about transferring settings (and files) to a new computer this may be your only option, such as it is. Security precautions would prevent you from just copying Sam files across and using that. Many of your passwords will have to be entered again.

283734 - Passwords Are Not Migrated by the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard or User State Migration Tool

306186 - HOW TO: Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard By Using the Windows XP CD-ROM

306187 - HOW TO: Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard with a Wizard Disk in Windows XP

293118 - HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back