Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving partial data on multi-record form (FORMS 6.0) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsimmons

Programmer
Jun 15, 2002
US
I am running a large multi-record form over the web. Our users keep getting timed-out of the form after entering large amounts of data and are understandably upset. I want to know if there is any way to commit(or post) part of the data entered to the database periodically to keep the database session alive. I want to avoid splitting the form into many smaller forms because that is a very ugly solution. I tried POSTing to the database, but after that is completed, control is passed to the next form and doesn't allow the user to enter more information. Is there a way to allow the user (maybe via the save button) to save the records entered up to a certain point and continue entering information on the rest of the form?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

AFAIK forms itself wont time you out, unless it is explicitly defined on the server. Have a word with your server administrators.

It could be that your network connection is being timed out. Speak to your network administrators to see if they have an idle timeout on any net connections.

If it won't interfere with your application one alternative is to quietly commit any changes when the user navigates to a new record.

WHEN-NEW-RECORD-INSTANCE
if :system.form_status = 'CHANGED' then
set_message_level(5);
commit;
set_message_level(0);
end if;

BJCooperIT,

What if post is issued instead of commit in your suggetion? Vsimmons, why after posting the control is passed to another form? Could you find out the reason?

I have never tried it but my guess is that if you issue a post command and your server connection times out, then the database will rollback and your changes will be lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back