Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving my noisy photos 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

okayokayjustme

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2007
US
I accidentally increased the ISO to 800 instead of shutter speed to 800 on my digital camera and now my pictures looks very noisy and bad. The pictures were all taken in raw format. Are there tricks in Photoshop to save these photos or are they just no good to fix them? It seems that the blue channel is worst of the three channels. I hope there is a way to fix this noisy photos.

Thanks for any kind of help.

Not an easy question to answer without seeing the damage.

If the pics are not personal, can you post one for inspection?

((~_~)))

Sure. I'll try to find one tonight and post it online. I was wondering if there is a way to fix the bad channel. It seemed that the blue is the worst of all three.

Sorry okayokayjustme I was away for a few days.

I downloaded your Picture and can see the noise produced by the 800 ISO. Too bad digital cameras don't issue warnings when changing ISO settings.

The colors didn't look bad at all to me.
I still have PS7.0 so I'm limited to the unsharpen mask to try to clean the pic but was somewhat successful with:

Filter > sharpen > unsharp mask with settings of
Amt 175%
Radius 2.5 pixels
Threshold 0

With Pshop CS I believe there is the reduce noise filter:
Filter > Noise > Reduce Noise.

If you hace CS you can give it a try.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

sam

Thanks! I'll give that a try. In addition, without the help of other's suggestion, I found Noise Ninja is really nice.

Very good.

If it does what it shows at the website; it's probably worth the $34.

Good Luck

sam

If you don't have CS2 with the reduce noise' filter, try this:
Convert the image to Lab Colour - IMAGE>MODE>LAB COLOUR. You will now have 3 channels, LIGHTNES, A and B. Select channel A and give it a gausian blur of 4 pixels. It will look well blurred but don't worry. Do the same with channel B. Now view the composite image. You will see some improvement. To improve further, select Lightness channel and apply FILTER>NOISE>MEDIAN of 2 pixels. Convert back to RGB.
If you're satisfied with the result you can set up a keystroke action to quickly do the other pics.

Thanks rickwells I didn't know that and will give it a try.

Nice post !

sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back