Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving MS Word Docs To Adobe Illustrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanSmiley

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2003
CA
I have an MS Word document that I'm taking to a printing company to have published. The printing company wants the document in Adobe Illustrator format. I've been told that MS Word can Save-As a document in AI format. My MS Word doesn't seem to have that file type in its list of options.

Can this be done? And, how do I get that option into my list of MS Word file types?

Thanks

IanSmiley

Just send it as a PDF. Ask the printers for the preferred PDF settings.

I'd like to know who told you that "MS Word can Save-As a document in AI format". Total rubbish.

I think maybe it was confused with the fact that you can insert AI objects into Word.

Travis Brown,

Do you have any professional guidelines I can follow for saving PDFs as lossless file type, if possible?

Also what optimizing features shoud I set and what should I turn off to get MAXIMUM results. I don't care about large file size.

Assuming you have access to Distiller, the best way to make a PDF from a Word document is to do the following steps:

1. From the Print menu, choose Distiller as your postscript printer, and check the 'print to file' box. Ensure you save the file somewhere you can easily find it again. The process will generate a postscript file, which from Word, will probably have the extension PRN.

2. Launch Distiller, and use File>Open to open the postscript file you have generated. You may need to choose 'all files' from the File Type box, as the default is to only see files with the PS extension. But once you have found the postscript (PRN) file, you should be OK.

3. Select the appropriate job options from Distiller's settings, or as Travis suggested, ask the printers what settings they want you to use. The highest quality PDF has the least compression (and depending on what version of Distiller you have) will be found under the PRESS setting. Once you have selected this (or the printers job options)setting, you can click OK to make the PDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back