Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving Files to a SQL Server 7 table via ASP webpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

waggers

Programmer
Sep 7, 2000
AU
I am currently required to upload a file via an ASP webpage to a server and then save that file to a SQl Server 7 table.

Currently, the file upload is working fine and we are saving the uploaded file to a directory and recording the file name in the database. This part works really well, BUT... my boss wants that actual file stored in the databases for security purposes and I can't get this happening.

The file types will be .gif, .jpg and various other formats such as .doc., .ppt and .xls and will vary in size from approx 1 - 2k up to perhaps several Mb.

I can get the file to a known directory on the server - no problem, but the next bit just isn't happening and Microsoft's documentation is none too clear on this aspect.

Has anyone successfully done this and how did you do it?

TIA

waggers

I believe the image data type is the recommended data type by Microsoft for situations like this...

Are you using a Visual Basic application for this?

Tom

I have defined an 'image' column for this.

I am using active server pages via an IIS4 web server, not a VB application...I think a VB application would have been easier, but using a web-based approach (no choice) I am relying on using FileSystemObjects for my file handling, which is ok as it is working.

Any thoughts?

waggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back