Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving Files in Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBox

Programmer
Dec 5, 2001
US
Hello-

I am wondering if someone can answer a basic question for me. I was asked to develop an Access database that tracks legal cases.

Specifically, in addition to entering data like "journal" (i.e. diary type entries including date, comments) entries, the requester is looking to attach files (i.e. Excel, Word documents, scanned pictures) into the database for easy recall.

Is Access a good tool for doing the latter? I imagine it could take up a good deal of space very quickly, if even possbile.

Would welcome others thoughts on:

1) Can this easily be done?
2) If not, what might be a better application method for this purpose?

Many thanks,
EBox

I'd don't store files content in an access mdb but pathnames and then use the FollowHyperlink method to view them.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

what i would do is store the path of the file in an access table and open file as needed

Thanks - this is good to know that it can be done.

One other question on this - the requester has asked to somehow "sync" relevant details related to cases. In other words, for the various meetings and notes in the meeting box within Outlook, if there is a specific reference to "ABC Case", it would identify in Access somehow a list of all meetings related to that case.

Is this possible? In some ways, its almost like doing a "search" in Outlook for a certain name and showing the results in access...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back