Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving files directly back to CDRW

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveyg

Technical User
May 16, 2001
GB
Does anyone know if there are any ways to save files directly back onto CDRW rather than saving elsewhere, and then overwriting the original files.

I am creating a html cd for distribution, and would like to include links to Word documents etc, which I would like users to edit and save directly back onto the CDRW.

I know Roxio directcd and the Nero Incd can do this, but I guess they are not compatible with each other. Could do two versions of the Cd, but not sure how many people wouldnt be able to access these?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

No. You should not save Word documents directly to any removable media and certainly not optical media: it is about the easiest way to corrupt and lose your document. Always save to the HDD before copying across and vice versa when opening documents too.

Regards: tf1

Yes, this is possible. But as you've pointed out already, it depends on whether the end users have compatible software. XP has built-in support for this type of packet-writing to a CDRW, but then you would have to hope each user has it activated in addition to having XP.

Are you positive each user is going to have a CD Burner to begin with?

There's really no guarantee on the software end unfortunately. You might be better off making it a multi-session Data CD that each user can just tack on an extra session to. Just have them create a new folder with the same document name, or rename the document prior to saving it back onto CDRW.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Thanks for the info. How is packet writing in XP enabled?

I dont know if all the users are going to have CD burners. I was hoping to set it up so that those without burners can use the CD with normal read-only access. Writing directly back on the CD would be an added function for those with the right hardware/software.

Thanks
Dave

Well, I don't think packet-writing is something you want to use on your CDRW's anyway, since users without burning software aren't going to be able to read it. If you decide to somehow use it, you will have to make a custom CD for each user based on what software they do use, whether it be Nero, Roxio, or XP's native support.

So with that in mind, I would go ahead with the suggestion to make regular Data CD's that can be appended to with multiple sessions. That way those without burners can still access the CDRW.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back