Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving Excel spreadsheet ad .gif, .jpg, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waxaholic

Technical User
Jan 31, 2001
US
Does anyone know of a way to save an Excel spreadsheet as a .gif, .jpg, etc? I know of some software that saves charts but does not allow for the saving of spreadsheets with data. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Wax

have you thought of taking a screen-cap of the spreadsheet & pasting it into an art package...that way you can save it as a jpeg no probs at all........ James Goodman
j.goodman00@btinternet.com

Wax: If you just don't want anyone to be able to edit it, copy the cells, move to Word and paste special as a picture.
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

I wanted to stay away from screen capture because that is what i am using now. Too tedious to save it and paste it somewhere, then having to crop the picture. I was really hoping there was an easier way of doing this. I also wanted to use it for the web as i post report samples to my web page for viewing. The problem i have now is if i save the workbook as a web page, Netscape does not work well when trying to view the pages. IE works great. Guess i will just have to grind it out and do it the long way. Thanks for the input everyone.

Wax

Depending on the version of Excel, you can save it for the web anyway.

Wax, there's this very terrific little program called snagit. Let's you assign a hot key (I chose ctrl-p) that's only in use while snagit is open. And captures anything on your screen that you draw a box around. I always hated the crop routine too. Now you don't have to. Just go to to get to CNETs downloads. The resolution of the pictures is MUCH better than any screen captures I've ever taken too.
techsupportgirl@home.com

Screen capture captures at screen res (72 dpi) which means you are at the right res for the Net. Using anything better means much bigger files.

Z: That's interesting. I recall that the file sizes actually ended up smaller than the screen captures. Of course, I'm not sure and now you have me wondering. I'm going to have to test that out at home tonight (wouldn't DREAM of downloading something off the net here at work, right!!! They'd have my head!). I'll let you know, tho...
techsupportgirl@home.com

Screen cap is a bitmap which is uncompressed. I think snagit uses jpgs which are compressed files and will therefore have a smaller footprint.

I thank you all for the help. I downloaded "snagit" and will give it a whirl later. This could be exactly what i want. I do not mind if the program captures at higher then web resolutions, this will only allow me more flexibility in optimizing the pic. Thanks Dreamboat for the advice.

Wax

On the issue of resolution - when talking solely about monitor viewing, resolution has no influence.

An image on your screen that is 640x480 pixels but saved as 72dpi, will be exactly the same size on your monitor as a 640x480 pixel image saved as 42524dpi.

The issue of resolution, only comes into it, when you are taking input from (eg scanning) or outputing to (eg printing) a hardcopy or similar.

As for the statement "The resolution of the pictures is MUCH better than any screen
captures I've ever taken too." I don't understand this. A screen capture records the image on the screen, exactly as it is presented on the screen. It doesn't compress it, it doesn't reduce its size, it doesn't shift the colours etc... Thus if it is viewed at 100% size, it will give an exact replica of what was on the screen at that time. Now, if the program does alter the screen image in anyway, then it introduces errors that PrintScreen wouldn't. Maybe it performs a sharpening routine, that makes the perceived level of detail higher (it actually is just adding errors), or there may be some artifacts introduced when it is saved to jpg. What it cannot do, is add data that was not on the screen to begin with.

What snagit does appear to have (I have just looked at download.com) is many extra features. These enable to manipulate the information that you capture from the screen (ability to do optical character recognition, capture movies etc...)

Wax, check out the screen shot here:

This lets you share Excel spreadsheets and Word documents (even password-protect them) over the web.

Email me if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back