Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving CS2 file to earlier Illustrator version

Status
Not open for further replies.

smith385

Technical User
Nov 22, 2006
US
I created an image in CS2, but my client needs it saved in an earlier Illustrator version so he can make some modifications.

I tried saving it as a .pdf file to see if that would open in his earlier Illustrator version, but he says that he hasn't been successful in opening the file.

I don't see any way of saving the file an earlier version.
Does anyone else know a way?

Please advise.

File menu/Export/Illustrator legacy.
Pick the version you need on the next window that opens.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Hummm.
That didn't work.

When I select file menu/export the only options I get in the pull down area are:

AutoCAD(DWG)
AutoCAD Interchange File(DXF)
BMP(BMP)
Enhanced Metafile(EMF)
JPEG(JPG)
Macintosh PICT(PCT)
Macromedia Flash(SWF)
Photoshop(PSD)
PNG(PNG)
Targa(TGA)
Text Format(TXT)
TIFF(TIF)
Windows Metafile(WMF)

Am I looking at the wrong menu?
What is Illustrator Legacy?

I'm on cs1 and illustrator legacy is 3rd on the drop down. All versions of AI that I've had also had the feature.

Try going to Help and Search "save as earlier version of illustrator" or "illustrator legacy" and see what comes up.

I can't beleive they dumped it as it's so important. In a pinch you can sometimes use Autocad DXF (interchange) as Ai will open that and it will retain vectors.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Do you think that is an option for Mac users only?
I'm on a PC.
Please let me know.
Thanks for your help so far.

No it's not mac centric

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Where I used to work had CS1 and as jmgalvin points out, you had to export as a legacy. On CS2 it's under the save option - there shoud be a drop down at the top when you go to save that lets you save back as far as Illy 3 - it's labeled "Version"

Donna

Why, Oh Why must software companies always change where they put things on the interface? All it does is cause confusion.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

I know;-) I just got used to the one (having used v10 and was always given the version option) and now am back to it. Screwy!

Thank you all for your help. Very much appreciated.
Upon further investigation and your help I discovered that
The "version" drop down menu does not appear until you have given the file a name and pressed OK. Then the second save-as menu screen appears. It is at this point when there is a drop down menu to select from along with other file properties to select for the file.

Thanks again!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back