Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

saving config file

Status
Not open for further replies.

markharvey

Programmer
May 14, 2001
GB
Hi everyone,

I have a cisco 1600 series 3 router running ISO version 12 how can i save the config file when hooked into it using the console port ??? I have read all the documentation and it says nothing about this but i know it can be done.

Please Advise

Regards

Mark Harvey

Hi,
I think what you're asking is how to copy the config to a PC drive for example rather than copying the running-config to startup.
An easy way to copy the config is enter the command "show running-config" or "show startup-config" while connected to the console using hypertrm / terminal or some other software, then as the configuration is echoed to the screen, cut and paste the output into a text editor and hey presto! a backup of the config.

Cheers,
Phil. If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

Cheers phil,

I got that one i thought you could make a .cfg file that you could upload if any disaster/flood/pillage happerns ??

Mark

you can copy the config to a tftp server on your network, Cisco have a free one - available pretty much everywhere on the WEB - hust issue a "copy startup-config tftp" command - you'll then be prompted to enter server IP Address and filename.
You can also use SNMP to write a router config to a tftp server (nice and easy, scheduled config updates!) - have a look at Kiwi's CatTools - for an OK(ish) utility.

Cheers
Phil. If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back