Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

saving and storing a view setting for a CAD map in access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchetman240

Technical User
Aug 21, 2003
US
Hello,

At my location, we have one master CAD map for all our data. I have two databases, which would benefit greatly from the ability to save the location of a view (say, an X, Y coordinate) and a zoom setting in an access database. The way I would like to see it is that I click on the link stored for a specific record and the master CAD map opens to the view that was saved.

I have looked at taking "w blocks" and linking them in OLE fields but our master CAD map is updated and changed daily. This is detrimental because the map data is for digging on site and therefore requires that the information be based on the latest CAD data.

Is there a way to save view coordinates as text and possibly have access load it into CAD hen it is told to do so? Is there a better way to achieve my intent?

I think there are two ways to look at a solution.

1) Autodesk Map has out-of-the-box functionality to link a record or records from a database to any object in a DWG. Once the link is created you can view the entire table, select a record, and Map will automatically zoom to the linked object in the DWG.

2) Create a custom application. You can certainly grab the current extent of the DWG and store that info in a db, and retrieve that info to update the DWG.

Good Luck,

Scott

Yes, I have been able to retrieve the maps I want every time without fail. The problem is that this specific instance requires me to find a way to save many views of the same master map so they all open to thier own locations and zoom levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back