Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saves only in .bmp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyborg

Programmer
May 11, 2002
US
Whenever I get an animated gif in an email and I right click to copy it, it will only give me the option to save in bmp format. This, of course, will not save the animation.

How can this be changed????????? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:~/ Ladyborg
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." [Thomas A. Edison]

Have you tried saving it as that, then renaming it back to GIF before opening it? Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

That won't work because when saved in bmp it only saves the first frame, not all of the animated frames. Simply renaming it won't fix the problem. Ladyborg
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." [Thomas A. Edison]

Have you looked in Folder Options to see what it says about Gifs? Open Windows Explorer -->Tools -->Folder Options -->File Types tab. Check out the extensions for images and see if they have anything associated with them. Good Luck. MCSE, A+

You might find your fix here at Micro$oft's support page, go figure: You have the symptoms, so check out the cause and workarounds.

Symptoms: When you use the "Save Picture As" command for a graphics file in Internet Explorer, you may be able to save the file only as a BMP file, even if the file is in another format (such as GIF or JPEG). The file name may also appear as "Untitled."

Newbie, thanks, I tried everything on that page, and the related article as well (link on that page), but nothing helped. I cleared the cache, even increased amt of disk space to be used for cache............[nosmiley]

This is really bugging me!!!!!!!!!!

Any other suggestions???????? Thanks for all of y'all's help so far. Ladyborg

When you tried "newbiewonkinobie" link did you have this later information contained in this link.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 810978
Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)

Can you clarify whether you are talking about an attachment to email or an embedded gif.

I have had some luck with SAVING AS and then typing in the name of the file as whatever.gif. Worth a try anyway.

Linney, I did everything on the article in your link, it still happens.

Also tried Ilsmith's idea, but it didn't work because under the "save as" box, the format was still .bmp. So only the very first frame of the animated gif's frames was saved.

What I am trying to save, for example is an animated gif that came in an email. Therefore, there is no reason as to why it won't save!!!!! When I press "save as", the only allowable format to save in is .bmp. Ladyborg

OK... what grpahics programs do you have on your computer? (I'm grasping at straws here)

If you open a folder (pick a folder, any folder), click on Tools, Folder Options, and then the File Types tab, what is the GIF extension associated with? Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

If you go to that really simple "Paint" program under "accessories" you have the option of saving graphics "save as" in any format. It works but I havn't tried via an email program.

Ok, tried it. I can't see any way to save as GIF directly from Outlook Express. So save as BMP to wherever and then save as GIF with Paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back