Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

savegrp -c option saves for whole save group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinoteo

Technical User
Oct 2, 2003
SG
Hi all,

I have encountered a problem when running a non-existance server with this command "savegrp -c option", it somehow run for the whole save group. Is there a bug??

snsdhl> savegrp -p -c noserver pmqfull
pmqssn04:All level=skip, pool=Default, save as of Wed Aug 17 16:04:38 GMT+0800 2005
pmqssn04:index level=skip, pool=Default, save as of Wed Aug 17 16:04:38 GMT+0800 2005

pmqssn05:All level=skip, pool=Default, save as of Wed Aug 17 16:04:38 GMT+0800 2005
pmqssn05:index level=skip, pool=Default, save as of Wed Aug 17 16:04:38 GMT+0800 2005

snsdhl> savegrp -p pmqfull
pmqssn04:All level=skip, pool=Default, save as of Wed Aug 17 16:05:05 GMT+0800 2005
pmqssn04:index level=skip, pool=Default, save as of Wed Aug 17 16:05:05 GMT+0800 2005

pmqssn05:All level=skip, pool=Default, save as of Wed Aug 17 16:05:05 GMT+0800 2005
pmqssn05:index level=skip, pool=Default, save as of Wed Aug 17 16:05:05 GMT+0800 2005

No. The option -c is only valid for the save set. The index backups at the end will be done for all clients in this group. And of course the bootstrap at the end.

Thanks for replying, 605, does it means that even if i use the savegrp command on an non-existent server ie.noserver like I have done above, the command will still initiate backup of the indexes of the clients in the default group?

Oh yah, forgot to add in a point.. I have just upgraded the networker from version 6 to version 7.1. Prior to version 6, when I ran savegrp -p -c noserver pmqfull, it will detect that there is no such server called noserver and the command will not run but in version 7.1, it will.

That's why I am suspecting whether this is a bug.

Yes, i think this is a bug. See below from Legato:

Solution Title: 'savegrp -c (client) (group)' runs without error even if (client) is not a member of (group)
Solution ID: legato80397

Here is the solution:
Known issue: LGTpa73030 Contact ESG Support for assistance.

This issue is fixed in NetWorker 7.2.1 and subsequent releases.

Here is the problem or goal:
'savegrp -c (client) (group)' runs without error even if (client) is not a member of (group)
'savegrp -c (client) (group)' backs up all clients in (group) when (client) is not a member of (group)
'savegrp -c (client) (group)' does not back up (client)

Problem Environment:
NetWorker 7.1.3
NetWorker 7.2

Causes of this problem:
If a client is specified with a -c option to the savegrp command and that client is not a member of the specified group, the command should fail with the error message 'Client(s) requested with "-c" option not in '(group)' group.'.

There is a code issue in the savegrp command which causes the specified client to be silently ignored and instead all clients contained with the specified group are backed up.

Cheers!
Maverick

Hi dinoteo, I do not understand what you mean by the term "non-existent server ie.noserver".

You must have a NW server present as otherwise you could not even execute the command. The option "-s" is just there that you can specify a specific server in case you have more. Anyway, the indes and bootstrap backups will be done as i said.

Thakns nwninja for the information, yah, concluded its a bug for networker ver 7.1. Will try to update the patch for it and see if problem persists.

605, for networker 7.1, the command will still be executed if you specify a non-existent client. The problem is resolved for 7.2.1 onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back