Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Savefs: nothing to save error

Status
Not open for further replies.

loucorked

Technical User
Dec 21, 2006
EU
Hi for the last few nights i have been getting the below error from the backup of my NMC Server.. I am running networker 7.3.2 It has been backing up fine until now.. It is scheduled to run incrementals every night except a full backup on Friday night.. It also failed the full backup with the same error. I deliberately made some changes to it, to check the backup but it is still giving the below error message.. Any ideas

* xxxxx-wvuk-b:All 1 retry attempted
* xxxxx-wvuk-b:All savefs: nothing to save
* xxxxx-wvuk-b:All savefs ftmgt14-wvuk-b: failed.

Looks like the savefs doesn't return anything. I would start by having a look on probing part. Try starting the savegrp from command line a add a couple of v's. Something like:

savegrp -vvv -p -c xxxxx-wvuk-b YourGroupName

That should give you some kind of error hopefully.

If it doesn't, try to run the probe from the client itself with just savefs -p and see if it comes up with your different disks and SYSTEM save sets.

I would also try a save command from the xxxxx-wvuk-b client to see if it can do a manual backup.

I had this problem after updating a client to 7.3.2 (coming from 7.2.1).

It was a problem with the name resolution.
In the client definition were not all alias names for the client as full qualified (with domain) definied.
I entered all alias names (short & full qualified) and the backup worked again.

It seems that 7.3.2 is here more sensible as older versions...

I have checked the hosts and serves file to and everything looks fine here.. I was manually able to run a backup from the Networker User program on the client machine and it worked fine.. I tried the savegrp -vvv -p -c xxxxx-wvuk-b YourGroupName command but it did not return too much info. Im pretty new to networker so any info that may be helped would be great.. thanks

root@yyyyy # savegrp -vvv -p -c xxxxxx
Filesystem_Daily
xxxxxxx:All level=incr02/21/07 10:52:21 savegrp: Group will run up to 8 jobs in parallel
02/21/07 10:52:21 savegrp: xxxxxx:probe started
savefs -s yyyyy -c xxxxxx -g Filesystem_Daily -p -l full -R -v
02/21/07 10:52:25 savegrp: command 'savefs -s yyyyyy -c xxxxxx -g Filesystem_Daily -p -l full -R -v ' for client xxxxxx exited with return code 1.
02/21/07 10:52:25 savegrp: job (28990) host: xxxxxx savepoint: xxxxxx :All had ERROR indication(s) at completion.
* xxxxxx:All savefs: nothing to save
savefs xxxxxx: failed.
02/21/07 10:52:25 savegrp: xxxxxx:probe failed.
--- Probe Summary ---

xxxxxx:All level=full, dn=-1, mx=0, vers=pools, p=1
xxxxxx:All level=full, pool=Daily Filesystem, save as of Wed Feb 21 10:52:25 GMT+0000 2007
xxxxxx:index level=9, dn=-1, mx=0, vers=pools, p=1
xxxxxx:index level=9, pool=Daily Filesystem, save as of Fri Feb 16 23:07:12 GMT+0000 2007
02/21/07 10:52:25 savegrp: nsrim run recently, skipping
root@yyyyyy #

Hi,

did you ever try to run the savefs -p command? It looks like it is savefs that doesn't return anything and the error message seems to not be returned to savegroup on the backup server. I guess a probe on the client machine will show you the errormessage you like to see.

Good luck!

output from savefs -p
C:\>savefs -p
type: NSR client description;
pools supported: Yes;
browse time supported: Yes;
multiple balanced streams supported: Yes;
remote user: emcadm;
groups: None, Everyone, Administrators, Users, REMOTE INTERACTIVE LOGON, Authent
icated Users, This Organization, NTLM Authentication;
client OS type: Windows NT Server on Intel;
CPUs: 1;
kernel arch: INTEL_PENTIUM;
machine type: server;
MB used: 6913;
NetWorker version: 7.3.2.Build.364;
version: 7.3.2.Build.364;
save set: path="C:\\", level=incr, time="Sun Feb 11 21:04:44 GMT+0000 2007", dis
kno=4, max_sessions=1, stype=save,\
path="SYSTEM STATE:\\", level=incr, time="Sun Feb 11 21:04:43 GMT+0000 2007", di
skno=3, max_sessions=1, stype=save,\
path="SYSTEM DB:\\", level=incr, time="Sun Feb 11 21:04:19 GMT+0000 2007", diskn
o=2, max_sessions=1, stype=save,\
path="SYSTEM FILES:\\", level=incr, time="Fri Feb 09 21:31:20 GMT+0000 2007", di
skno=1, max_sessions=1, stype=save,\
path="ASR:\\", level=incr, time="Sun Feb 11 21:04:02 GMT+0000 2007", diskno=0, m
ax_sessions=1, stype=save ;
parallelism: 8

Hi,

looks like savefs -p returns the excpected result, so that was working. What about the failing command then:

savefs -s yyyyyy -c xxxxxx -g Filesystem_Daily -p -l full -R -v

Also check your account permissions, I have seen similar probs - able to push backup, but not pull backup.

It looks like you are using a managed domain account -'emcadm'. Try using a domain account that you know has all privs just to disprove permissions as a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back