Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SaveAs file dialog and filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoothcat74

Technical User
Aug 29, 2008
Hi all,

I have the following code which is an effort to create a Save As file dialog. It works perfectly, except when I try to add the filters to ensure the user saves the document as a .xls. I get a runtime error stating "Object doesn't support this property or method." Does msoFileDialogSaveAs not support filters? Is there a workaround for this? Thanks in advance!

Code:
Sub ExcelExport()
Dim SaveAs As FileDialog

Set SaveAs = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogSaveAs)

Dim FileName As Variant

With SaveAs
.AllowMultiSelect = False
.Title = "Save Export File"
.ButtonName = "Save"
.InitialFileName = "Productivity Report.xls"
With .Filters
.Clear
.Add "Excel Documents", "*.xls"
End With

If .Show = -1 Then
    For Each FileName In .SelectedItems
      DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "ProdReport", FileName, True
      MsgBox "File successfully exported."
    Next FileName
    Else
    MsgBox "File not exported."
End If
End With

I wonder if you could just popup an input box and get the user to input the name of the file they want in that? That way, you could assign the file extension yourself and not even let them know that you are doing it. Take it out of their hands. That is one way to do it I suppose, which is the way I would really go if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back