Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Save Results as Text on the report 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

edison1135

Technical User
Mar 28, 2001
US
I'm using Crystal Reports 7 to write reports against an Access Database. One of the monthly reports gives me the number of Cumulative wins for the year, the number of Cumulative Loses for the year, and so on for the various categories we track.

I use the 3 formula running total method throughout the report.

I print the report out each month and save the hardcopy to build a history for the year.

Is there any way to write a formula to save the monthly results as a text field in the report so that at the end of the year there would be 12 rows containing all of the data, (or one row of information for each time the report was run)?

Thanks

The only way would be to create a second version of the report that suppressed all the sections except the one containing the results you wanted to save. You might have to change some of the formatting as well.

Then EXPORT the results to a text (or other) file.

Now the problem is that if you don't change the file name
each month you will overwrite the results from the previous month. So you will have to use a text editor (notepad)
or some other method to combine the results into one table.

The best approach would be to do some programming in FoxPro,
Access or a similar language that does this for you.

Howard Hammerman,

Crystal Reports training, consulting, books, training material, software, and support. Scheduled training in 8 cities.
howard@hammerman.com
800-783-2269

Thank You very much for the quick reply. I'll give it a try.

Edison1135

As a side note - a somewhat complex SQL statement can return the cumulative figures for each month so that the report could be grouped by month and show the cumulative figures up to and including that month.

Alternatively, you can achieve the same result using a subreport returning the cumulative figures for each month
via a shared variable.

Cheers,
- Ido ixm7@psu.edu

Ido,

Could you include an example or elaborate further about using a subreport to return the cumulative figures for each month via a shared variable?

My report is grouped by category; Won, Lost, No-Bid, etc, and I run it each month. This way I have a snap-shot picture of the numbers at that particular time. Will your method retain the previous months totals so they will show in any future report?

Thanks,

Edison1135

What I propose gets rid of the need to save monthly snapshots. Your report would still be grouped by
category: Won, Lost, No-Bid.

Within Category, the report would be grouped by Month.
Then in the group footer for the month, the Category and Month would be passed as arguments to a subreport that would return the total of all transactions for that category with dates that are less than or equal to the month argument.

The subreports would than show the cumulative info for that month or pass that info to the main report via shared variables.

Cheers,
- Ido ixm7@psu.edu

Thanks for the reply, but I don't believe this will work for my situation, because for some of the categories I'm tracking, if I run a report in February, then re-run the same report later in the year trying to recreate the February information, it will have changed. Won, Lost and No-Bids will be constant, however, the other categories, Prospect, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3 and Stage 4 are dynamic categories, and change as the Lead progresses.

This is why I need a snapshot for the particular month that I can save somehow.

Thanks,

Edison1135

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back