Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Save for Service Provider 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IC04

Technical User
Dec 1, 2003
US
The Message that comes up when Save for Service Provider is finished is that "Font's are not OK for printing or creating a package for the service provider", when checking under the fonts tab an arial font has a '?' and a NO does anyone know what to do

Thanks

Sometimes the S4SP can be a bit flakey. Are you actually using the Arial font? If not, don't worry about it.

Thanks Eggles
Iam producing a magazine and sending it to a Printer first ever issue, first time using Pagemaker7 with 6 pages 11"x17" double sided printing, are there any suggestions or pit falls you could help me with

Regards

>>I am producing a magazine and sending it to a Printer first ever issue<<

I remember how scary this was!

Assuming you have LINKED rather than embedded graphic files (which is the recommended workflow) make sure that what you send to the printer contains:

* all graphics files (at 100% of the size used in the publication) - in other words, don't do the final resizing in PM, do it in Photoshop after establishing the correct size in your PM layout

* all fonts - and if you have used Type 1 fonts, send both the .PFM and .PFB components. Also remember if you have used italics/bold/bold italics, that these are SEPARATE fonts, and to send these as well. Also any symbol fonts you may have used.

* check that if NOT in full process colour e.g. spots or just greyscale, that no elements use the wrong sort of colour, which will generate extra film and plates (expensive).

Have you checked with the printer about imposition? I assume you have set up the pages in 'readers spreads'? Let the printer do the imposition for you as you don't always know what size sheet he will be printing your publication on.

Finally, here's a list I found over on the prepress newsgroup (with a few extra comments by me for clarification):

Set up documents to reflect finished trimmed page size

Extend objects outside the trim area for bleed where appropriate

Always submit all and only fonts used in the document - not every font on the system

Work in the correct colour space for the final product i.e. CMYK/spot NOT RGB

Use (raster) graphics of an adequate but not excessive resolution (300 dpi is usually the best)

Use vector based graphics for logos etc

Check panel widths for folded brochures by making a mockup and measuring it.

Always knock out white text

Always overprint foils and die cuts

Don't impose anything unless you are explicitly asked to do so

Make clipping paths in Photoshop and save as eps

Avoid leaving Alpha channels, transfer functions or halftone information in Photoshop files.

Don't use JPGs

Check that your printer can process DCS files before using them, and tell them that they have been used.

Read your final copy BEFORE submitting it for printing

And most importantly of all - COMMUNICATE with the printer.

Nicce one Lyn! You elevate that to FAQ staus! Definitely worth a star, don't you think? :)

Iechyd da! John
00:00 04/12/2003 GMT

Thanks John. I can't take all the credit, but I found it recently and thought it was a great list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back