Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

save: error, can't connect to media database on

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmwut5

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
GB
When the nsrmmdbd decides(?) to backup the media database any client starting a backup gets the following error

save: error, can't connect to media database on fred

save: Cannot open save session with fred

The daemon.log file shows:

07/16/02 20:36:28 nsrmmdbd: media db is saving its data. This may take a while.
07/16/02 20:36:44 nsrd: media event cleared: Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Local' tape(s) on fred
07/16/02 20:38:44 nsrmmdbd: media db is open for business.

Is there any way of telling the save command to wait before returning the error ?
The command I am running is

save -q -l full -x -s fred-bk -b "Local" /db /users

Thanks in advance

I´m not sure, but perhaps you can pipe the errormessage in a file with the command (DOS) 2>error.txt

save -q -l full -x -s fred-bk -b "Local" /db /users 2>error.txt

The error message is

save: error, can't connect to media database on fred

save: Cannot open save session with fred

I have opened a call with Legato and they are trying to see if there is any way around this.

Thanks

pmwut5,
Did you ever get a response from legato on this problem?
thx

Can it be that you want to do a manual backup while NW backs up the media db? - Tis of course can not work as the server has to put the db offline for a short moment.

NW does the media db backup as part of the bootstrap which is usually created one per day when the groups runs where the NW server's client belongs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back