Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Save calculated data to my table... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gruvn

Programmer
Oct 15, 2004
CA
OK - before you jump in and tell me all about normalizing my data and not duplicating unnecessary information, let me tell you want I want to do:

I have a millions of records exported from another application, and one of the fields I have is a butchered version of what I need to use as a primary key. The key should be a Long Integer, but it's text. It should not contain letters, but there are lots of entries like abc_55469. In some cases, someone has prepended a bunch of 9s onto an otherwise correct entry (e.g. 99993491).

What I can do is run queries to find all of the records that have the same kind of problems. I also know how to use calculated fields to display the actual value I want. What I don't know how to do is permanently capture my calculated data into the field so I can go ahead and delete the bad field. Until now, I've created an empty Long Integer column, running my queries with a calculated field, then copying and pasting the calculated values into my empty column. The problem is that I'm limited with copying 65,000 records at a time, and I have upwards of 8million.

Can anyone help? I'd appreciate it a ton!

Copy and Paste? Yikes!

Why not just run an Update query like this...

update mytable set mynewcol = myfunc([myoldcol])

Where myfunc(strtext as text) as long is a function to process and return your clean unique numerical id.

Does that help?

Gary
gwinn7

You can take pride in the fact that you're someone's hero today! Thank you so much! I just updated 1,300,000 rows!
[peace]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back