Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

saturday loggin

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovyfill

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2003
BE
hey,

my exchange server is doing strange things .

we all know the transaction logs 5mb each log file !
the problem is that my external logs are placed @ the rigt time ..when the mailing take place ! but all the internal log files (from internal mai) get placed @ saturday ..so everytime saturday my c: gets full (we have about 2000 internal mails weekly) ...how does it come that exhcange does the loggin of internal mail on saturday ????

who knows ???

thnks Danny

Can't answer your question, but fundamentally you have a bigger problem: One or two 5MB files should not use up all the empty space on your C: drive (whether they're Exchange log files or anything else). In other words, your C: drive is already too full.

Move your log files to another partition with lots of space. Don't forget to add them to your backup schema.

yes ok , but its not about one or 2 logfiles of 5 mb !!

its about +1000 log files of 5 mb .

and yes ok my c: drive is low +- 5 gig but thats not the issue ! exchange may not make that log files all on saturday ,hé shut doe that when the mails are send .

does anyone have an idea ?

thanks

i'm not sure why so many log files get created but I had a customer that was having problems with log files gobbling up c drive space so I created a batch file to start and stop the exchange services every night, when the services restart the logs get flushed.

Brenter

hmmm.

good idea brenter ..but that doesn't stop the problem .

i know what these log files are ..those are the transaction logs of all the internal mail of the passed week. but i only don't know why that he makes it on saturday ,
the transaction logs of external mail gets created on the time that the mail was send and not on saturday like the internal mail .

because all this my server getted out of c: drive space ...

what as result was that exchange started flipping end the result of that has getted us on a spam blacklist .altough we are definatly relay closed (tested on several ways)

for now i changed the drive of logging what the problem solves for it (my c: drive can't get full now)

but does anyone have an idea of the saturday loggin of my internal mail ?????

greetz groovyfill

Ok then, either enable circular logging or let your backup software clear the logs.

hmmm ok .

but its still strange that its doing his loggin on saturday

Make sure you are not trying to back up the Exchange folders with file-level backup. I have seen Backup Exec create gigs of log files when trying to backup Exchange folders where you have log files. Sounds like you may have a Friday night Full backup, and then Differentials (just guessing.). In your backup job definitions, exclude the MDBDATA folder whre you have databases or log files, and back up Exchange with an Exchange agent (or NT backup, and select to back up your Storage Groups).

Also, exclude the EXCHSRVR folders from realtime AV scanning (use Exchange AV to scan the mail databases)

Georgesz

thanks georgez ,

i definatly will check this out ...but i don't believe that i have any backup running automaticly ...

but i will check it for being sure

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back