Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Satellite VPN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JINX007

Technical User
May 4, 2003
US
Has anyone found a solution to this? I have looked at skycasters.com and to upgrading my Direcway service to the business solution, but both ways are very expensive. I'm wondering if there is a work-around. What I need to do:

Access my company's secure network (I used to do this through Nortel's Extranet Access), so I can access (I used to use VPN) a remote computer that has software I need to look at. I write Help files for that software on that remote machine. Is there any other way I can accomplish this?

I assume you mean using VPNs over a satellite link? This is tricky. It is all down to the latency of your sat provider. I have an Aramiska satellite connection and 95% of the time the VPN is ok. Sometimes though it times out. I know it is near impossible to get BTs sat to create a VPN. There is a registry tweak for XP to increase the TTL of packets sent out. The other thing is to make sure you have the least number of internal 'hops' to your VPN server.

All in all a VPN over a sat is a fairly unreliable setup. Best to have a dialup as backup if you need it to be solid.

Sorry there isnt a better answer. If anyone has a better solution I would like to know too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back