Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Satellite Internet access to VPN? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfortuck

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
US
Does anyone know of a Satellite Internet access company the
guarantee's VPN access?
I've already contacted DirecWay, they don't!

Hi Lee
We have just had a satellite link put in at one of our remote sites by Aramiska. Remote access and VPN is all new to us. All we want is for our remote machines to log into our main site domain as though they were sat here.
Has yours been configured like this?.
Have you needed to set a remote access server up?

we have a windows 2000 server running Metaframe XP, this is also a ras server for Clients to connect to. In the rras settings it automatically creates a WAN Miniport. Make sure you asign a range of Static IP's rather than use DHCP. if you need any more info mail me direct.

Lee

Contact one of my suppliers, C-Com Satellite in Canada, they have a solution that one of my customers is very happy with, although they re-sell the Direcway product they have their own VPN solution.
Brian

I would suggest Spacenet, located in McLean VA. They are owned by Gilat who has presence in Europe and Latin America as well as the US. I have been working a site-to-site project using VPN and VSAT as options to turn a LAN product into a WAN product. Spacenet has been been very supportive throughout.

Aramiska and VPN tunnels does it work ?

How fast, given a 512k uplink to the satellite ?

What tunnel terminating devices, Cisco, W2K, etc ?

Currently signed up with Aramiska but still cannot achieve a successful VPN solution. Can anybody help please?

Put simply ... be very careful of companies that offer VPN over satellite. It does not work well at all. Very slow connection speed even with 2mb downlink connections from the Internet.

VPN works on the uplink speed only. Be wairy of what the Sat Comms company claims.

I have learned the hard and very expensive way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back