Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sata to IDE using Ghost 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

carguy4sp

Technical User
Sep 28, 2007
US
I want to ghost my old drive IDE to a new sata drive using Ghost 2003 will I have any problems or issues?

Any tips or advise?

Thanks
Rod

I need to mention my system is using XP old drive is IDE 380 new drive size is segate 720 SATA I will be using a IDE to SATA cable adapter.

Do you plan on booting off of the SATA drive once it's imaged from the IDE drive? If so, you may run into problems if your OS does not recognized a SATA drive without SATA drivers installed.

I will be using a IDE to SATA cable adapter
doesn't your mainboard have SATA ports?

if it does not, it would have been a lot easier to use a PATA drive, instead of a SATA one...

it may work with that adapter, though I cannot remember anyone who has ever used one on a BOOT drive...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Ha, I read that backwards, Ben. I read it as converting the IDE drive to motherboard SATA port. I agree with you, IDE to IDE much easier by far.

Yes the plan is to make it my boot drive because my ide drive is on it's last leg.
Any way to add the sata drivers after the drive image is complete?
The sata drive will not have jumpers so I set my old ide to slave before ghosting?

You posted the title of the thread wrong which started the confusion. You want to Ghost IDE hard drive to SATA had drive via Ghost 2003 - correct?????????

Any way to add the sata drivers after the drive image is complete?
should not be necessary if you are using an adapter...
Yes the plan is to make it my boot drive because my ide drive is on it's last leg.
that part was clear... what was or still is unclear, is how the SATA drive will be used there after, e.g. will it be used through an adapter or natively attached to a SATA port on the mainboard?

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

You shouldn't have any problems, carguy4sp.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back