Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SATA Registering as Ultra DMA Mode 5 in XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

epayrie

Technical User
Oct 18, 2006
CA
Hi,

I'm hoping there is an easy answer to this. I have a dell dimension 5150, with the 0wg261 motherboard, intel 945G chipset, BIOS version A02, and 160gb sata150 seagate HD. To the best of my knowledge, I have installed all pertinent drivers, and I am using the onboard SATA controller - However in the device manager, my primary IDE properties are showing as Ultra DMA mode 5 -- Which as I understand it is the equivilent to ata-100, far below SATA150 1.5Gbs speed. I understand the onboard SATA supports SATA150, but I don't think I'm there. I also think I've set all nessessary BIOS settings correctly..

Anybody help!?

Some SATA drives have jumpers for setting the speed of the SATA may not be answer but worth a look see.

Some motherboard/bioses effectively disguise SATA drives as IDE (possibly to allow XP to install without additional drivers). Have you checked in the bios settings, if it displays drive details, what is displayed there? Also, the drive won't actually be capable of fully utilising the 150 mb/sec interface, ATA100 is probably about right for its actual speed (currently drive interfaces are outpacing physical drive capabilities, in most cases).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back