Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sata not recognized 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrcandyman83

Technical User
Mar 16, 2006
US
System specs:
mainboard: MSI 865PE Neo 2-V
CPU: P4 2.4 Mhz
Primary IDE: Seagate Barracuda 120GB
Secondary IDE: Seagate 40GB

I am trying to install a sata drive into the computer but it is not being recognized. I dont believe there is an sata controller, but cant find any drivers or controllers to down load. anyone know whats going on?

"You could dream a little dream or you could live a little dream. I'd rather live it, cuz dreamers always chase but never get it" -Aesop Rock

Your MB has 2 SATA ports, so it has an onboard SATA controller.
Make sure that the MB's drivers were installed, and the SATA controller is enabled in BIOS(if applicable).
If those are ok, then try both SATA ports.
If the drive is not recognized on either port, then either the MB's SATA controller, then SATA drive, or the drive's cable may be bad.

You didn't specify whether this hard drive is just for files, or whether you were trying to install Windows on it.

If trying to install Windows, you probably need to get the SATA driver(s) put on a floppy drive, and then press F6 when prompted by the Windows installation. That's very common with onboard SATA controllers. If you go to the manufacturer's website, you'll find the drivers you need, and some of them come with a small program for making the floppy.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

RE:If you go to the manufacturer's website, you'll find the drivers you need, and some of them come with a small program for making the floppy.

MSI's Website only has IDE Drivers I cant find any SATA drivers

"You could dream a little dream or you could live a little dream. I'd rather live it, cuz dreamers always chase but never get it" -Aesop Rock

Just in case you didn't go directly to your motherboard yet, here it is:

I also pulled up the manual from that site, and found that the SATA controllers are on the Intel ICHC chipset. So, I did a Google search on that chipset for SATA driver, and found this link at intel.com:

I think that will have what you need, from the looks of it. Just scroll down to the 865 family series drivers, 3 of them are listed - all related to storage (PATA and/or SATA)

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Thank you all for your advice. The problem is fixed and I love this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back