Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SATA - Newbie easy question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevehewitt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Hi Guys,

For the last 6 years i've gone from Hardware and went into networking.

But now SATA is going to kick my ass - as I have a simple question about it that I can't answer.

I have just purchased a HP desktop with an 80Gb SATA drive. However we need 160Gb to I purchased another HP 80Gb SATA drive.
Familiar with IDE I would just have one as master, other as slave on the same controller. (Pri and Second)

But how can I do it with SATA? I mean, do the drives daisy chain off each other like SCSI or are there multiple controllers on the m/board?

Any help with this simple, basic question appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Hi,

SATA drives are connected directly to the motherboard one per connector.

Chylok

When you actually get into the PC to connect them you will see right away how easy it is.

You just need an extra SATA cable and depending on the drive?? either a spare molex or SATA power connector.
Take a look it's simple.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thanks to all!

Yep - simple. Thought it would be but one of those things where even though I understand the technology behing it, speeds etc. some of the very basics aren't mentioned on the internet - you just have to look at the thing!

Cheers again.

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back