Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sata Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

24Peaches

Technical User
Dec 13, 2001
US
I have a G31t-m motherboard. I tried adding a floppy drive but wasn't successful with connecting the cable to MB. Therefore, I would need to fdisk and format this drive from a cd. How do I go about accomplishing this step by step?

When you added the floppy drive did you also enter the BIOS and enable it there?
What operating system do you want to install on the drive?
XP during boot allows you to wipe partition and format the drive.

The above link has a download for a bootable cd.

My old hard drive crashed and I was re-installing xp onto the new drive.

I tried adding a floppy drive but wasn't successful with connecting the cable to MB. Therefore, I would need to fdisk and format this drive from a cd.
not exactly clear phrasing there...

here is the install instructions for XP...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

I have the following components in my pc.

G31t-m winxp
core duo 2ghz 2gb memory
Ide dvd burner 500gb hard drive
linksys wireless-g card

I installed the mb and linksys drivers. It couldn't locate the drivers for the following:

?ethernet controller
?PCI device

The link above is to the ECS site where they have the drivers for the onboard NIC if that is the ethernet controller you need the drivers for. It also has the chipset drivers which might solve the PCI device unless it is the wireless linksys card and the drivers for that can be downloaded from Linksys.

The most common size/capacity for floppy disk drives is 1.44Mb. If you go and buy floppy disks they'll most likely already be formatted.

By "wasn't successful with connecting the cable to MB", do you mean the drive just didn't work after connecting it up, or do you mean you physically couldn't connect the data cable to the motherboard FDD interface?

Make sure you have the cable the right way round, engage all the pins and not slip a row, and have the power connector seated properly. And as tlcscousin advised, make sure the floppy drive option is set and enabled in the BIOS.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

It couldn't locate the drivers for the following:

?ethernet controller
?PCI device

if the suggestions so far did not help, then double click each device that is missing a driver, look under the HARDWARE DETAIL TAB for the VEN & DEV numbers and post these here, and we will point you toward the correct driver...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back