Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sata drive help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamui079

Technical User
Jan 27, 2005
US
i just bought a new maxtor sata drive and i wanted to make it a slave and use it for storage. i hooked it all up and everything but my comp doesn't recognize it, i don't know alot about installing hd's so i'm not sure wot i have to do, i dled some drivers but it didn't help at all. not sure if i need some different ones or wot i need to do, but when the comp boots up it doesn't recognize the hd as primary or secondary drive or anything, but it recognized it on the serial ch thing but once windows boots up it doesn't display the drive.

oh btw i have a triton series gigabyte k8vt800 pro mobo

you would need to go to the maxtor website to download a program to set up your specific hd
thats what i did with my seagate hd, and gigabyte 7n400pro2
no less than an hour ago

What operating system are you running?

If 2k/xp - can you see the drive in Disk Management?

You may need to install SATA drivers from your motherboard install CD (or from the mobo manufacturer's site).

i went to the disk management a few times and it didn't show the hd and i searched the mobo disk and there wasn't anything for it really, but somehow after i tinked around a bit more it showed up in disk management, i dunno wot i did maybe something in the bios, but i formated and partitioned it and it works fine now, except when i boot up it still says "primary slave none" but its workin on my comp so i dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back