Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SATA blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

coverdinskin

Technical User
Jan 24, 2005
US
Hello all, i built a computer recently, with SATA capabilities....after installing XP OS on ide drive...i proceeded to install all drivers for the gigabyte 7n400 pro2, from the cd that came with it(sound didnt work after that). When i plugged the SATA in after that, the hard drive showed up in the device manager, but i was unable to access it.
So i downloaded nvidia's unified driver....and then the sound worked, but on restarting the computer, after windows loads, the computer restarts over and over again. I unhooked the SATA cable and it starts up fine....but i still dont have a second hard drive...I uninstalled the drivers for the raid utility, to be sure it wouldnt screw anything up.
Also the ethernet that came on the board still is
inoperable....
I've downloaded every driver/patch that applies to my setup, but is still not full functional

Any help is greatly appreciated

Didn't see any mention of you installing the SATA drivers?
You need these for the SATA drive to work.
Also SATA and Ethernet should be enabled in the bios
Sounds like things have got a little screwed up and often the best thing to do is start again.
Possibly use your system restore to take the PC back to just after the OS clean install, then re-apply latest unified platform drivers.
I would also apply SP2
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

i have installed the invidia unified drivers, which include SATA drivers.....and the ethernet in enabled but the driver is faulty....

ok got it to work....downloaded disc wizard from seagate...and applied it...but the disc screwed up the windows log off, and had to restart a couple times before the windows took hold...thanks for the reply though paparazi

Martin,
Guess it depends on the system and drive. I've built two recent systems with SATA integrated and did not need to install any drivers initially. Some mobo CD's include a driver set for SATA (to enhance performance), but without it I've noticed it works fine for initial setup and overall performance.

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back