Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAS Macros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nipsy

Programmer
Jan 30, 2006
AU
Hi,

I'm new to SAS, can anyone point in the direction of a good site to read up on SAS macros? Or recommend a good book? The SAS support site only has a macro reference link, not too great for a newbie.

Thanks!

If your new to SAS why not first get used to base SAS? try the The Little SAS Book ( I think there is a third edition) by Delwiche & Slaughter. (ISBN: 1-58025-239-7) The book touches on SAS Macro too.

The reason for this suggestion and not a suggestion to a non-SAS macro site is that Macro is a way of generating base SAS statements. If you are not familiar with base SAS statements and how they interact then you will never be able to do the advanced macro programming that SAS Macro can let you do.
Of course you can always ask us here and if we have time we will be glad to help out.
Klaz

Hi Klaz,

Thanks for your reply. I should have qualified my statement. I meant relatively new. I've been using SAS for about a year at work now, and I'm starting to get frustrated by repetitive tasks which, from my experience in other languages, I know should be do-able. Just feel ready now to step up to the next level. Are there any sites out there to get me started with macros?

Nipsy,
I found that SAS's own macro book was a great help. I also found it in PDF format, a while back. It takes you through the basic steps and (for SAS) its an easy read (something that they have to work on :) ).
Here is a link to download this document. It will only be available for 30 days,
enjoy!

Klaz,

This is great, man. Many, many thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back