Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAS 5/ir disk configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

FraidyMan

Technical User
Jun 13, 2011
CA
I inherited an 840 with an SAS5/ir controller and 2 5 yr old SAS 300 Seagates that are hot enough to fry an egg on. Plus one physical disc of the array is degraded. The controller bios software borders on unintelligible, and does not appear to work.

I had to install OpenManage - it was not on the server, and the configuration tabs in the storage portion of it just says "no task available" for both drives.

Can you tell me how to try to bring the idling disc back online? Or is this controller telling me that it is on its way to the garbage can?

I want to replace the SAS's with two SATA drives - throughput is not an issue here. Assuming the controller is okay, how would I bring the second Raid 1 vdisk online? I can clone it easily, but how do you make it the boot disk?

Or is this controller telling me that it is on its way to the garbage can?"

One of the disks is wither dead (95% chance) or the controller has taken the drive offline due to a glitch. After dealing with raids for 20+ years, it not worth trying to get the failed disk back on line,purchase a new one. That is retail new retail, not a refurbished or recertified..if the drive does not come with a 5 year warranty it is a refurb/recert or an oem. Refurb/recert are drives which I send back under warranty and are retested, and resold, but they will fail again .
Your cloning software should make a destination clone bootable, as cloning software should copy sector by sector. There is an option within the raid bios or other management software to choose which array is chosen to boot from.
Your drives should not be hot, warm is OK, either dust or low powered fans are responsible.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks for the advice. It is pretty much what I did. The inability to do anything with the console was the clincher. I now have a pair of SATA 6 drives mirrored by Windows 2003 - works fine because our demand is low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back