Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sarcheck reported fine, still slow performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,
I'm wondering why my sun ultra 10 machine is performing so rubbish.
I ran sarcheck over a period of several days, however it keeped on reporting that there were no bottle necks.

However if u were to use the machine u would relealise how slow everything is.
Things get even worse as soon as i try to use java based apps.
For the price that i paid for the machine, i am disappointed. I've spent over an additional $400 on upgrading the machine to increse the performace. I'v been told that they are excellent machines, but I have yet to experience it. I'm not expecting anything like a cray supercomputer performance, but a general smootheness when runing apps.

I've listed below the specs and use of the machine.
Can someone please help me solve this slowness problem. I'm worried that i've spent so much money on a system; of which i could of got the latest super PC for half the money.

thanks.

sun ultra 333
512Mb
30Gb(seagate barrcuda 2 7200rpm drive,fastest ide drive)
Creator3D FFb+ ver 3

Borland JBuilder 5 pro
Netscape 6.2, 4.78, opera, realplay,
JAVA JDK 1.3.1, 1.4.1, Java 3d, JMF 2.1.1
STK 4.2O
Openoffice latest stable build
Sun Staroffice 6, 5.2.
Gimp

p.s
i'm a undergrad student, so money is very tight for me.I can't put anymore money into the system.

Poor performance can be caused by a lot of things.
Do you have a swap space at least twice the size of the RAM.

One thing I notice is that you are using tools that are slow by themselves :
Anything to do with JAVA is still slow although it is getting better. Netscape 6.2 is a full java version. I am sure you have better performance with 4.78
The same with StartOffice, good product but memory hungry and slow.

Looks like your performance problem is more linked to the tools you are using that the system you are using. If you would be running these tools on an Intel box that has similar setup (666 mhz cpu), you would probably get the same performances.

Hope this helps Too bad I.T. is not cash business

Luc Foata
Unix sysadmin, Oracle DBA

Hi ,
Please check all the running daemon and close unnecesary one (like nscd, sendmail, ldap client etc). I think you have mis-configured your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back