Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAP - brrestore to different client

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoinz

MIS
Jan 29, 2004
DE
Hello,

I am going to restore a backup of our production SAP system to a Q system.
Backup was done by brbackup/brarchive and backint.
For a first test I try only one archive log file.
brrestore seems to work well; I get:

BR374I 1 of 1 file restored by backup utility
BR230I Backup utility called successfully

But I cannot find a restored file, neither on target nor on source system.

Problem might be:
We already have a running SAP system on the target, which I am going to overwrite. But this SAP is not (and will not be) saved by Legato. Only filesystems are saved by Legato.
So I copied backint to the target, along with config and log files of brbackup/brarchive, and gave it a try.

Technical details:
Server: HP-UX 11i, Legato 7.1.2
Source system (= Storage node): Tru64 5.1B, Legato 7.1.2
Target system: Tru64 5.1B, Legato 7.1.1
Database: Oracle 9.2.0.5
BR-Tools: 6.20
backint: 3.0

Any ideas? What did I miss?
Will I need an additional license for Legato's SAP module?

regards

On the target system you will have to change the setting in the UTL config file to point to the source client:
client="source target client name"

In the source client configuration you will have to give the target client permission to look at the source targets backup (remote access).

If your production client is still enabled and has acquired the SAP License (check Licensed Applications in the client config) then you will need an additional license.

dominionvp,
thanks for your reply. utl file and remote acces had been set correctly; this was not the problem.
As for licenses: That's what I had suspected. We are in contact with a Legato representavive; however there had not been a quick answer to this question.

After a bit more of testing I have found out that the whole problem was my fault.
Oh, such a silly thing ...
Oh, don't ask me ...
[blush]

Ok,
for those of you who do ask me:
brrestore had worked fine; the file had been restored to the place where I had expected it. But when I looked, I couldn't find it.
Reason for this:
For our current SAP system there was a cron job running that deleted archive log files every few minutes. As it is a test system, we don't need them.
But this job was not meant to delete restored files as well.

Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back