Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SANtricity Storage Manager with Microsoft Servers. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boon82

Technical User
Mar 11, 2004
MY
Hi,

I have two Microsoft Servers, one Windows 2000 Server, and another one is Windows 2003 Server. Some volumes have been created using SANtricity Storage Manager. These volumes are mapped to Windows 2000 Server. Even though without CREATING any volume for the Windows Server 2003, just connecting the HBA card attached to the Windows 2003 Server to the SAN switch, I have a problem.

My problem is that, when the volumes created are properly assigned to Windows 2000 Server, and once i restart the Windows 2003 Server, volumes assigned to Windows 2000 Server will disapppear. Hence, i need to reboot the Windows 2000 Server again in order to have my "disk" back. What can i do to make sure that the volumes assigned to Windows 2000 Server still remain accessible even though I have restarted my Windows 2003 server?

Your advice will be much appreciated. Thank you very much. Have a nice day! ;-)

Warmest Regards,
Boon

How are the hosts connected to the array (through what ports on the array)?

Off the top of my head the easiest and probably best way is to create host two groups in SanTricity. Put 2003's WWPN in one as well as it's LUN's, and 2000 in the other. This is LUNMasking and it keeps servers from futzing with each others LUNs.

STF

I have created a Host Group for 'Win2000' hosts, and one for 'Win2003' hosts. Create a host entry with a host port within each host group respectively. This should ensure unique access to each hosts LUNs. Also, ensure zoning within the switch, (if connecting via switch), so each host sees only their correct port into the storage system.

Mike in KC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back