Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN's HP EVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

eskolnik

Technical User
Sep 4, 2002
US
Anyone use care to give me hints on how backups are performed on SAN's.

Do you take snap shot's ?

Are the snap shot's then mounted directly to the backup server or are the backups done thru clients?

If snap shots or lun's are mointed directly to the backup server, how do you handle Windows and Unix machines?

Me:
NW 6.1.3 On Sun Solaris 9 (current patches)
currently backup about 80 clients
Window's, HP UX, Solaris, Linix
STK L40 Tape library
3 SDLT 220 tape drives
HP EVA 5000 (coming soon)

Ed Skolnik

By default NW does not take snapshots on a SAN.

Also i am a bit confused - to my knowledge a SAN cannot do
snapshots but a NAS filer. Am i wrong?

Yes many Disk SAN's support snapshot. HP EVA's, EMC (BCV's), the IBM Shark etc.....

Ed Skolnik

At least with EMC bcv's, you have to mount bcv's to a "like" system. We mount them to the client which is a san storage node.

Strictly speaking, the snapshot _is_ the backup. If you want to archive the data you can always mount the snapshot on a backupserver to spool it to tape as well to have another level of protection, and for archiving.
As for Networker doing snapshots, it's a question for Networker having an interface to the hardware doing the actual snapshot. Lookup "Powersnap", which I believe is Legato's name for that technology.
/charles

Yes,
if you use powersnap you can manage the hardware for doing snapshot of the requested volumes.
You need to have a proxy client onto the SAN , powersnap, networker client, networker agent for database, (if you use EMC storage) NaviAgent, NaviCli, PowerPath and a good tecnician for the configuration too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back