Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN Storage selection parameters 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

asredanesh

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2010
US
Hello All!
i want to buy a san storage for a data center and want to know about san storage selection parameters such as interfaces and capacitity and so on. how select a suite san storage RE my datacenter conditions?

I think you can divide this into capacity - performance - connectivity
First of all, you will need to know what your current used capacity is of the systems you want to migrate to the san.
Next, what is the expected grow of the data? Are there new projects that will need to be deployed onto the san ?

With regards to performance, have a good look at your applications, and determine if it is reponse time or lot's of IO's that are done. You vendor of choice will need to know this information to determine the correct type of controllers and the needed amount of spindles required to obtain the performance you need.

With regards to connectivity, you will need at least 1 HBA with 2 ports to connect to your san ( for redundancy ). If the san is a clustered solution, you will need 2 x as many fc ports. A good practice is to stuff 2 dual port HBA's in each server connecting to the san. Generally speaking, be sure to have at least a dual fabric in place if you are looking towards a high available solution, so expect some costs in switches,fibers that need to be put into place between data centers ( if not already present )

Now you know what you need, contact your favored vendors ( IBM,NetApp,EMC,HP,....) and ask their presales engineers to make a correct sizing

Hope this helps

rgds,

R.

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back