Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandan123

Technical User
Sep 9, 2005
US
I have a V440 attached to a SAN with three LUNS.

Everytime I reboot I get a lot of extra paths when I do a

powermt display dev=all, all these extra paths are marked dead.

if I do a powermt display then I see downgraded for the two i/o paths I have.

I then need to do a powermt check and powermt config and then everything is back to normal.

Any idea what's going on ? I'm not too familiar with SAN, I'm using Emulex HBAs.

dandan123;

I had a customer a few months back that was having issues with his internal mirrored boot drives and had a clarion unit attached to the system. We had replaced the boot drive and he wanted to make sure all was good so he rebooted. When he rebooted he had his clarion paths show up as dead. He did some research on this and found out the san had been moved from another box which changed his pathing. He found out there was a command to run to store the new pathing info(he never told me the command). I bet you are running into something similar. There should be a command in your san docs that should tell you how to update and save that info.

Thanks

CA

I think there are three commands you need to run. I have in the past removed /etc/powermt.custom.* files, doing a reconfigure reboot, and then run the powermt commands themselves. But, I would not recommend that on a live system...

Code:
devfsadm -Cv
powermt config
powermt display dev=all

You might have to run the devfsadm command to remove and logical links that do not exist anymore.

Thanks for your respone, it got me thinking and I got the solution -

powermt save

This saves the configuration.

Now my box comes up fine.

Thanks.

cndcadams.. I think we posted at the same time.. thanks.

not a problem...learning experience for me also..glad you sorted it out.

CA

Hi,
You can also perform a reconfiguration reboot to fix this issue so that when u reboot the server next time, it won't complain about the dead paths. Please keep it in mind that do not perform re-configuration reboot if it is Netbackup server or any tape library attached to the same.

SMishra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back