Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN on Solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrightad4

MIS
Nov 10, 2003
US
New to SAN's in general.

QUESTION #1: I need to know what OS Solaris runs AND if typical Windows Enterprise applications can "see" and "use" a Solaris box for storage of documents.

QUESTION #2: Can you use Windows security / permissions on a folder heirachy on a Solaris box as well? In other words, can I build a parent/child/grandchild folder heirachy with permissions INHERITED from the top level of the folders?

Let me know,

Jeff

1) Solaris *IS* the name of the OS that runs on Sun hardware. Sharing depends on how it's set up. Samba, for example will let you map folders, just as you do within windows, but not all "Windows Enterprise applications" like shared drives much so that would depend on the exact app.

2) Windows security has little to nothing to do with Unix security. Permisions can be set recursively depending on what flags you use when you set permissions.

If you're not familiar with Unix you'll either want a Unix admin or another solution. None of these questions have anything to do with SANs.

Good luck,

FredUG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back