Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN Backup Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebiJo

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
US
We recently implemented an EMC CX500 SAN. I am planning to purchase a LTO-3 Fiber Tape drive library to connect directly to the switch. I need some backup software that will backup directly from the SAN across the Fiber without requiring a Backup Manager on every server. The SAN will have Exchange, SQL, etc. I do not want to load anything bigger than a client on these boxes. I've heard recommendations for BakBone, CommVault and Veritas. Anyone have any feedback or other suggestions for us to look at?

Thanks in advance,
Debi

This really all depends on:
The features you are looking for
What your budget is
If you will introduce media servers

Keep in mind that just because the tape drives are SAN attached doesn't mean they will act any different than local attached SCSI as the SAN emulates this.

BakBone is very easy to install, has some very nice features, and has great support.

Veritas NetBackup is very robust enterprise solution with tons of features, but keep in mind that this is very expensive software.

Veritas Backup Exec is much cheaper than NetBackup but also does less things and has been having lots of problems this year.

Cannot say much about CommVault except that I personally hate it.

As your are buying a EMC SAN you may be wise to look at Legato Networker, this is an EMC product. It also has the added feature of a module called powersnap, this enables you to manage all your snapshots and snapclones form the networker admin screen, this will perfom your snapshots and then backup the offline copy of your data keeping the online data will not be inpacted by a backup.

Tim
MCSE 2003
HP APS

Veritas is the leader - worth a look.
As tim28375 said - its emc - u should check out what they are doing with networker for the full one stop shopping experience (LOL)
Bakbone sound interesting - although im unfamiliar
Connvault requires a media license - doesn't sound like it meets your needs

comtec said:
Cannot say much about CommVault except that I personally hate it.

May I know why?

I'm starting studying CommVault and your opinion are valuable. I know a lot about Networker and I like it.

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back