Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN AND RAID5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chihab

MIS
Mar 1, 2002
CA
I installed a Raid5 composed of compaq 34.6gb disks in a SAN (2 HSG80 in multibus-Failover). This RAID5 is seen by a Novell 6 server as volume1. How can i replace this RAID5 with a new one but with 72gb disks and remove the old one to use it elsewhere.

please help with clear procedure.

The HSG80 uses something called "Selective Storage Presentation" (SSP) to control server access (actually HBA access) to individual LUN's. Look at the ACCESS field on the LUN and the names in the connection table ("sho conn") the entries in the connection table correspond to the WWID's of the HBA's in your servers.

If you want to move from 36GB to 72GB, you have a choice:-

If you have enough room for both sets of drives, add the new drives, create the storage set and the LUN, present to your server. Then to an IO rescan (i dont know how that is done with Netware, a reboot usually does it) and then format the new LUN and copy your data from the old to the new LUN. dismount the old LUN and the job is done.

Or the alternative is to backup your data, remove the old LUN and its disks, replace with the bigger disks and recreate the LUN, then Restore your data, sounds simple but it usually takes a lot lot longer, and your system is unavailable while you do it!

I appreciate your answer. I already did it the last week-end. I have used the second solution. The advantage of this solution is that after the restore, everything is there, i mean rights, trustees ...
the other thing i would like to mention is that you have not to restart the server if you have securePath installed.
The only thing which need a restart is when you create the volume on the new storageset.

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back