Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAMSUNG SW-212 CD-R/RW PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnsh

MIS
Dec 23, 2000
GB
Just got my hands on my new PC and when I go to burn a cd the thing wont work! I just keep getting error messages with Adaptec Easy CD creator, then tried CDRWIN but that doesnt even recognise it as a CD writer!

I tried removing it and then starting the whole thing again - kind of installs itself on Windows ME, but still to no avail.

I'm running Win ME on an athlon 1.2GHz, cd writer is shared with Samsund DVD player which has no problems. I've looked for drivers but cant find any and was told it doesn't need any! - just plug and play. It works fine when reading cds but wont write and isn't recognised as writeable. Adaptec wont even run anymore saying there isn't a recognised cd writer installed.

Can anyone help?????

Hmmmmmmmmmm!!
You say you have a DVD drive as well??? then the most obvious thing is that both drives(DVD and writer are on the secondary IDE channel) and that they aren't set one MASTER and one SLAVE!! the drives will have diagrams on there covers to verify where everything needs to connect.
You will have to take the side of you PC off and check the jumpers on the back of the drives.
Set writer to MASTER and DVD to slave, they should be both plugged into one IDE cable (red line on ribbon to pin one on drives) this cable should have a piggyback connector about a third the way down for the second drive (also red stripe to pin one)It is worth checking that the drive you intend to use for playing audio has an audio fly lead connected from the drive to the connection on the motherboard.
Martin.

Did you say that the CDRW was part of the DVD or thst you have a DVD and a CDRW?

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, I've checked cable connections, undone everything, redone everything. The CD-R/RW and DVD drives are separate, they are both connected properly to the IDE cable and are set to master and slave (I tried it the other way round too but that did nothing).

Could it be WIN ME?

The drive works because it can read cds and play audio, could it just be faulty in that it cant write? I've written to the PC manufacturer but surprise surprise they haven't replied!

I didn't see what errors you were getting. Also what version of Easy CD Creator are you using? Version 5 Platinum needed a patch before we could get it to work.

What is the config. of your machine? Processor and memory?
What do you have running in the background when you are trying to burn? Is the CDR and DVD on the same IDE channel?
Could you move on to another channel?

Please reply and We will try to help.

Machine spec - athlon 1.2GHz, 256MB PC133, VIA KT133 mobo.

Error message from Adaptec (v3.5a) says there are currently no supported CD recorders available.
Adaptec (v4.02) doesn't say anything but doesn't write any information to the disc either!

CDRWIN also says there are no supported devices installed.

I dont normally run anything in the background while burning - I've tried different recording speeds too, fast and slow.

Well I think you have tried everything! differant burning software and differant hard setup.
Short of putting the writer in another PC I would say return it to where you brought it from!!! Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back